Fall - Autumn Theme Wedding Ideas
Autumn, what a romantic, wonderful time to get married!
Whether you want your autumn wedding to be very formal, most casual or somewhere in between, you have an enormous variety of possibilities.
It is harvest time. The summer heat is gone. Yet the days are still warm and sunny.
The leaves are turning into an incredible array of colors and as they fall off the trees, create a soft, lush colorful carpet.
Halloween and Thanksgiving are here and can serve as wedding themes or be incorporated for a most unique personalized fall theme wedding.
Can you see the possibilities?
So, put on your thinking cap and get creative.
Following are ideas to help you plan a fall wedding.
WEDDING LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION
Following are traditional and not so traditional locations that will enhance your autumn wedding and make it unique and special. Picture your wedding at a:
- Bed and Breakfast
- Country Inn
- Ranch or on a farm,
- Open Field
- Nature Preserve
- Botanical Garden or in a private Garden
- Wooded area
- Riverbank or Lakeside
- Or anywhere where nature presents its glorious backdrop.
Bride and her attendants
Fall weather is unpredictable. It may get chilly so, consider heavier fabrics and at least some sleeve for the gown and dresses or top them with matching boleros, stoles or shawls that can, but do not have to be worn.
The wedding gown can be white, ivory, champagne or gold. The gown and or veil may show embroidered leaf motif or dainty gold embroidery. Bridesmaids may wear either the same color or to really represent the autumn theme, have each bridesmaid represent a different fall color. See Fall Colors List.
The bride may wish to wear a fall theme garter and carry a matching hankie.
Bridesmaids and flower girl will look great adorning garlands of fall flowers and leaves.
The groom and his attendants
To reflect the season, the men and boys could wear tan, beige and brown attire instead of the white, black or dark blue. Their ties should be of fall colors matching the bridesmaids dresses and their boutonnière should be a fall flower.
White, ivory, champagne, muted gold, tan, beige, various browns, hunter green, burnt orange, rust red, deep red, burgundy, cranberry, wine, navy blue, sky blue, eggplant purple, pewter, silver, pale yellow, pumpkin and orange.
INVITATIONS AND STATIONERY
Accent your invitations and wedding stationery with your chosen fall color.
If you print your own, you may add fall graphics such as leaves, acorns, fall flowers, seasonal fruit, or a horn of plenty. If you purchase fall theme print your own invitations, fall theme is available.
Cut the place cards to look like a fall theme item leaves, pumpkin, turkey siluettes etc…
Chrysanthemums, roses, daisies, dahlias, lilies, yarrow, orchids, hydrangeas, sunflowers, baby breath, fall leaves, tallow berries, natural or dried wheat.
Decorate the ceremony site with fall flowers.
Instead of rose petals, fill the flower basket with colorful fall leaves.
Make pew bows from ribbons in your wedding colors and embellish them with fall silk flowers, leaves, fruit, wheat, Indian corn etc...
Instead of numbering your tables, name them. For example:
Fall, Autumn, Acorn, Horn of plenty, Cornucopia, Maple, Oak, Apple, Pear, Pumpkin, Cranberry etc…
To add more interest and make it easier to remember give your table addresses. Just add Circle or Square depending on the shape of your tables and you send your guests to Fall Circle or Autumn Square etc...
Use fall color linens.
Ideas for Centerpieces
Before placing a centerpiece, you may strew fall leaves on the reception tables and on the cake tale.
- Place A Horn of plenty, a basket or a hollowed pumpkin lined with fall leaves or popcorn and filled with fall fruit, berries, nuts, gourds, mini-pumpkins and-or acorns as your centerpiece.
- Pumpkin Ice Sculpture
- Carve out the inside of pumpkins and place candles in them. If you plan a buffet, you may line hollowed pumpkins with foil and using them as serving dishes.
- Fall floral arrangements in a straw basket or hollowed pumpkin.
- Place 3 or 4 fall color candles of various sizes in hurricane lamps. The candles may be cinnamon, cranberry, spice or apple scented.
- Place leaf or pumpkin shaped floating candles in a bowl, set it on a layer of fall leaves or straw.
- Paint or spray mini pumpkins and gourds and group them together.
- A real plant with real blooming flowers makes a great gift for guests. Chrysanthemums of many colors are pretty, very reasonably prices and you can get them everywhere; Wal Mart, Home Depot, Lowes, etc…
- Display b bales of hay
- If you have children, let them participate. Ask them to string cranberries, candies and popcorn and add them to your table decorations.
- Display balloons in fall colors
- Large chocolate or ice sculpture Turkeys
- Fruit shaped candles
- Favor boxes or bags filled with candy corn
- Caramel Apples
- The Perfect Pear items
- Garden in a bag or box
- Fall theme cookies
- Fall theme chocolates
- Fall theme lollypops
- Maple candies
Fall theme ribbons and bows, garlands, paper lanterns or luminaries with amber light bulbs, balloons, chains of stringed popcorn, cranberries, candies, paper chains, bales of hay, ivy, garlands etc…
Accent the doorways and tables with tulle and ribbons in your wedding colors. Adhere leaves and silk flowers for inexpensive, elegant displays.
Decorate your cake with leaves, fall flowers, mini pumpkins, mini apples, marzipan fruit etc…
Flavors: Spice cake, pumpkin cake, dark chocolate cake, nut cake
Food items you may wish to consider
- DRINKS: Apple cider, Sparkling cider
- MAIN DISHES especially if close to Thanksgiving: Turkey, stuffing, corn, potatoes, cranberry sauce etc…
- DESSERTS: Pumpkin pie, Apple pie, Pecan pie
- Wedding colors white black and orange
- Treat or trick bag for bridal purse and or as guest favors
- Costumes or masks
- Jack O'lantern ice sculpture or actual pumpkin as centerpiece
- Jack O'lantern favors
DO NOT display ghosts at your wedding.
You do not want to start your life together with "ghosts in your closet".
Hay rides, Horse and Buggy rides, blowing soap bubbles, Harvest the rewards of your Autumn Theme Wedding planning and have a super event.